De Pont has been named after the attorney and businessman J.H. de Pont (1915-1987), whose estate provided for the establishment of a foundation to stimulate contemporary visual art in 1988. In the southern Dutch city of Tilburg, De Pont is housed in a former woolspinning mill that has been transformed by BenthemCrouwel Architects into a space where contemporary art can be seen at its best. The vast, light main area of the monumental old factory and the intimate ‘wool-storage rooms' constitute a beautiful environment for the many works of art that De Pont has collected since its opening to the public in September 1992.
The collection includes works by national and international artists such as Berlinde De Bruyckere, Marc Mulders, Gerhard Richter, Anish Kapoor, Bill Viola and Ai Weiwei. Alongside the permanent collection De Pont also organises several temporary exhibitions.